ou see it more and more often and would like to try it out - a real sourdough bread. I'll show you how you can only bake a super delicious bread with sourdough yourself. The recipe is without any addition of yeast, which means that you should already have some items ready to cook to cook the recipe.
It would be a lie to say that baking bread is easy. That's not it. It is an art in itself. Baking bread without sourdough, i.e. with fresh or dry yeast, is a challenge and takes a lot of time. But the effort is worth it. A homemade fresh bread with a nice crispy crust, some butter and salt ... indescribable.
Let's start with the ingredients:
Ingredients for a 1500 g sourdough bread with sunflower seeds
- 250 g activated * sourdough
- 500g spelled flour (1050)
- 135 g whole rye flour
- 500 g wheat flour (550)
- 600 ml of water
- 15 g sea salt
- 100 g sunflower seeds
- Other utensils that would be recommended: a proofing basket, a dough scraper and a silicone brush, a pizza shovel, a very sharp knife or a razor blade and a cast iron pot or a pizza stone
* This is a sourdough that has risen to the maximum and has the most power to make the dough rise. If you want to know how to prepare a sourdough sticky good at home, you can read our recipe.
The first step is to prepare the dough.
Put the ingredients aside, as well as a large bowl for kneading, a sieve to loosen the flour lumps and a fork to stir.
Sift all types of flour once and place in the bowl. If a trough forms in the middle so that the water and sourdough collect in the middle, it is also easier to stir the dough.
Now add the leaven and the salt and water and stir well with the fork until it becomes a firm lump. Then let it steep for 3-4 minutes so that the gluten from the wheat flour can develop. This will make the dough easier to knead and will not tear as quickly.
After the 5 min knead and slowly mix in the sunflower seeds again and knead well. But leave some for the crust.
When you are satisfied with the result, place the dough in a warm place for an hour so that the leaven can start to do its job.
Now you can start folding the dough so that many fine bubbles can form in the dough and the bread is nice and airy.
- Carefully remove the dough from the bowl (preferably with a spatula) and place it on a well-floured worktop.
- Now you fold the dough once by pulling it on a little and simply putting the one side on the other. You do that again on the opposite side.
- Put the dough back in the bowl and let the dough rest for another hour.
- Let the same folding procedure rest again and again for an hour
- Now the dough should be so wide that you can put it in the proofing basket. This gives the bread a beautiful shape and, of course, the rustic cracks in the crust. Place the dough in it and cover it with a kitchen towel. Then let it rest in a warm place for 3 hours
- Set an alarm clock so that you can preheat the oven 30 minutes before the dough is ready. Set the oven to 250 degrees circulating air. If you have a cast iron pot, put it in so that it gets really hot. If you have a pizza stone, put it on a wire rack and put it in the oven.
So ... After a total of 6 hours, the dough should have risen really nicely. Now it's time to bake the sourdough bread. Put on some cooking water for the steam, preferably in a pressure cooker. And here we go:
- First of all, your pizza scoop floures something so that nothing can stick.
- Now you take the bread basket with the risen dough and turn it onto the pizza scoop, so that the dough is in the middle of the pizza scoop. Lay the razor blade aside and cut the surface of the dough. Try to cut in a cross-like pattern if possible. Take the silicone brush, dip it in a glass with water and brush the surface of the dough. Then you sprinkle the remaining sunflower seeds on the bread. Try to distribute them as evenly as possible
- Now it's getting exciting :). Take the hot cast iron pot out of the oven and place it on the work surface. Warning it is really very hot. Don't burn yourself.
- Try to carefully put the dough in the pot without burning yourself. That as quickly as possible so that the pot does not get cold again. Close the lid and put it in the oven
- Take a small one and put it on the bottom of the oven. Pour the boiling water into it. This allows the steam to develop throughout the furnace.
- After 15 minutes remove the lid from the saucepan and remove the puree from the oven with the water. The sourdough bread can bake at 200 degrees for another 25-30 minutes.
If everything went well, the bread should look really nice brown and have a nice crust. I hope you enjoyed my recipe and look forward to an honest review.
If you still have tips or tricks that can improve the recipe, just write in the comments :)